It is the obligation of employers in Hong Kong to generate or fill in IR56B forms for employee tax filing on the April of every year (1st April to 30th April).
On April each year, you will be filing for employees' taxes based on payroll records from 1st April of past year to 31st March of the current year. (Example: When you are filling on April 2020, you are filling based on payroll records from 1st April 2019 to 31st March 2020.)
To submit IR56B to Inland Revenue Department (IRD), you can refer to the guide below or follow these steps:
- Head over to Payroll > Payroll Settings > IR56B. Choose your Year of Assessment (YA) and click on "Generate IR56B".
- Update your Employer Info and double check all the IR56B forms to ensure that everything is in place.
- Double check all the IR56B forms to ensure that everything is in place.
- As Talenox is a self-developed software, employers who wish to submit IR56B data file to IRD, must first seek approval from the Department. The steps can be viewed by clicking on “Apply for Approval” button.
- Upon obtaining the approval, click on “Download E-Filing form” and submit the file directly to IRD via Online Mode.
- You can find out the details of Employer’s Return e-Filing Services here: https://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/pdf/er_efiling_userguide.pdf.
IRD's team will take a few weeks to check through before they send you an update through email and/or mail.
(Please click on the above and maximise to view the guide.)
Alternatively, you can also view a short video clip on how to submit Form IR56B to IRD:
For more information about IR56B and other tax forms, please refer to: https://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/tax/ere.htm.
[Note: IR56B forms are generated for employees who are still under employment in the company. For resigned employees, IR56F forms will be generated instead.]
Have a great tax submission season! 😎