Who should IR56G be submitted for?
If your employee is to be filled for any Employee who ceased Employment and is about to leave Hong Kong, you will need to submit this form on their behalf.
For more information you can refer to these links:
No later than one month before the employee’s departure from Hong Kong.
Example: If Bruce is leaving Hong Kong after his termination, Company X must file two copies of IR56G to report Bruce’s termination and departure. They will also have to withhold all amounts to be paid to Bruce – from the date of filing IR56G until Bruce has made tax clearance and can produce a ” letter of release” issued by the IRD. The amount to withhold includes salaries, commission, bonus, reimbursement of rent/expense, money or money’s worth included.
Eligibility for IR56G Generation in Talenox
To be eligible for IR56G generation, you will need to ensure that the employee’s Resign Date and Reason for cessation are keyed into their Employee’s Profile and “Is Leaving Country” checked.
The employee should also have payroll processed within the HK financial year period.
Once you have keyed this in, this will be automatically reflected in IR56G.
You can follow this guide on how what to do when an employee resigns from the company:
Generating of IR56G
For an employee who is departing from Hong Kong, you will need to prepare IR56G forms to print for mailing to Inland Revenue Department (IRD). You can refer to the guide below or follow these steps:
Head over to Payroll > Payroll Settings > IR56G.
Double check all the IR56G forms to ensure that everything is in place.
Once that is done, click on "Print selected employees", sign and mail the forms to IRD.
IRD team will take a few weeks to check through before they send you an update through email and/or mail.
Print IR56G for IRD (Step-by-Step)
1) Click on the Payroll module to access the IR56G section in Talenox.
2) In the Payroll module, head into Payroll settings > IR56G.
3) In the IR56G generation page, choose the IR56G YA (Year of Assessment) at the top, which by default is usually the latest YA.
Click “Generate IR56G for 2022” to generate IR56G for the specific YA indicated.
4) Next, you’ll have to go through a few steps of checking and verification before you should make your IR56G submission to IRD.
Firstly, click on “Edit Employee info for 2022” to verify employer information showing in IR56 forms (Step 1).
5) Double check the Employer Info details and fill in the missing fields such as Authorised Person and the details of the authorised person.
6) Once Employer Info is updated, head back to the IR56F generation page, scroll down and click on “View/Edit” to view the IR56F forms of each individual employee (Step 2).
When viewing each employee’s IR56F form, please double check the details before submitting and if you are going to make changes, click on “Edit”.
7) After you have made any changes, click “Save”
8) You can now “Print Selected Employees” for all employees in the company after you have checked through all the forms.
Print IR56G for IRD (Step-by-Step Video)
Alternatively, you can also view a short video clip on how to generate and submit form IR56G :
For more information about IR56G and other tax forms, please refer to: https://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/tax/ere.htm.
After generating and submission of IR56G forms, you can now choose to publish individual tax forms to employees via email.
Have a great tax submission season! 😎