Who should IR56E be submitted for?
You need to submit IR56E within 3 months of any new hire’s date of commencement of employment. As an extra precaution, it would be good for you to ascertain that the new employee is chargeable to Salaries Tax under Inland Revenue Ordinance.
Example: Company X employed a bookkeeper, Alfred Peng, on 3 April 2022. If this new employee is chargeable to Salaries Tax, Company X will need to file one copy of a completed IR56E by 3 July 2022. After submitting the form to IRD, Company X will also need to provide Alfred with a copy of IR56E.
Eligibility for IR56E Generation in Talenox
The employee would have to have an employee profile created in the system and a Hired Date keyed in for them in their profiles to be eligible for generation of the form.
Generating of IR56E
When an employee joins your company, you will need to prepare IR56E forms to print for mailing to Inland Revenue Department (IRD). You can refer to the guide below or follow these steps:
Head over to Payroll > Payroll Settings > IR56E.
Double check all the IR56E forms to ensure that everything is in place.
Once that is done, click on "Print selected employees", sign and mail the forms to IRD.
IRD team will take a few weeks to check through before they send you an update through email and/or mail.
Print IR56E for IRD (Step-by-Step)
1) Click on the Payroll module to access the IR56E section in Talenox.
2) In the Payroll module, head into Payroll settings > IR56E.
3) In the IR56E generation page, choose the IR56E YA (Year of Assessment) at the top, which by default is usually the latest YA.
Click “Generate IR56E for 2022” to generate IR56E for the specific YA indicated.
4) Next, you’ll have to go through a few steps of checking and verification before you should make your IR56E submission to IRD.
Firstly, click on “Edit Employee info for 2022” to verify employer information showing in IR56 forms (Step 1).
5) Double check the Employer Info details and fill in the missing fields such as Authorised Person and the details of the authorised person.
6) Once Employer Info is updated, head back to the IR56E generation page, scroll down and click on “View/Edit” to view the IR56E forms of each individual employee (Step 2).
When you are viewing each employee’s IR56E form, double check the details to ensure the details are correct. If you are going to make changes, click on “Edit”.
7) Click “Save” after you made the changes.
8) You can “Print Selected Employees” for all employees in the company after you have checked through all the forms.
Print IR56E for IRD (Step-by-Step Video)
Alternatively, you can view a short video clip on how to prepare IR56E forms:
For more information about IR56E and other tax forms, please refer to: https://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/tax/ere.htm.
After generating and submission of IR56E forms, you can now choose to publish individual tax forms to employees via email.
Have a great tax submission season! 😎