Working mothers (including self-employed) can enjoy maternity leave benefits under the GPML scheme.
Some important things to take note of:
- Your employee can start her maternity leave 4 weeks before the delivery date and no later than the delivery date. All maternity leave must be taken within 12 months from your employee's child's date of birth (inclusive of date of birth).
- Your employee's first 8 weeks of maternity leave must be taken in one continuous block (including weekends and public holidays). The last 8 weeks can be taken flexibly, if there is mutual agreement between your employer and yourself.
- For your employee's 1st and 2nd child order, the Government will pay for the 9th to 16th week of her maternity leave. It is capped at $10,000 per 4 weeks or a total of $20,000 per child order.
- For your employee's 3rd and subsequent child order, the Government will pay for all 16 weeks of her maternity leave. It is capped at $10,000 per 4 weeks or a total of $40,000 per child order.
- Your employee cannot use her maternity leave to offset the notice period when she leaves her job.
- Mothers who had stillbirths are also eligible for GPML if the requirements are met.
- Working mothers who qualify for the GPML scheme can share part of her leave benefits with her husband under the Shared Parental Leave (SPL) scheme.
- Your employee's child is a Singapore citizen, even if she or her husband is not a Singapore citizen.
- If as an employee: Your employee must have served her employer for a period of at least 3 months before her child's date of birth.
- If as a self-employed, she must be engaged in her business, trade or profession for a continuous period for at least 3 months immediately before her child's date of birth.
How To Submit Your Employee's Claims Online?
Step 1: Obtain the declaration form (GPML1) and supporting documents from your employee. You can also use your own form or system to capture your employee's declaration. Click here for the information you need in the declaration.
Step 2: Submit your employee's claims online via the GPL Portal no later than 3 months after the last date of your employee's maternity leave taken.
Step 3: Log in to GPL Portal to check your application status. A notification will be sent to you and your employee once your application is processed.
Claims Submission Deadline
Claims can only be made after the leave is taken. All claims must be submitted no later than 3 months after the last date of paternity leave taken.
For 1st and 2nd child order, claims can be submitted, once a month, after the first 8 weeks of maternity leave is taken.
For 3rd and subsequent child order, claims can be submitted, once a month, immediately after the commencement of maternity leave.